Saturday, April 6, 2013

Gargoyles are Cool!

I love gargoyles.  I have always been fascinated by them.  Do you ever wonder about the minds that design these guys, what do you suppose they dream about?
 
In architecture, a gargoyle is a carved stone, grotesque (no kidding) statue, usually made of granite.  People made these gargoyles  as decorative water spouts to throw water off of a building to help prevent erosion.  BUT...they also served as "protectors" to ward off evil spirits.  I don't care about protecting a building from water damage, but evil spirits, absolutely!  The gargoyles protect the occupants of a building from anything  evil and creepy.  I'm thinking they  don't just sit  there hoping to scare bad things away, I think that they must be sitting up on their perch and see the bad, evil thing come near their building and suddenly they come to life and swoop down and take care of the problem.
There was a TV series from 1994-1996 (who knew) called Gargoyles.  This is how the series is described, "In the dark ages, there was a race of heroic warrior monsters known as gargoyles.  These creatures existed as stone in the day but became flesh and blood by night".   Didn't I tell you!
 
This is my gargoyle that faithfully protects my home.  As you can see, he's been through a lot.  He has given both wings in defense of my family.  I'm pretty sure he lost his wings fighting off a couple of 4 year olds.  He takes his job very seriously.
 

5 comments:

  1. Love this! "Gargoyles" had come to my mind as well for the G word and I;m s glad you wrote on it. I had never known why they were grotesque before I read your entry and love yours. Have you seen (or seen pictures of) the comically grotesque gargoyles on the Bodleian Library at Oxford? All the best with the rest of the A-to-Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have seen the gargoyles at Oxford, but I sure have seen tons of them on the internet and boy there's not a pretty one in the bunch! Thanks for the well wishes.

      Delete
  2. I do often wonder what is going through the minds of the artists that carve these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been fascinated with those gross guys myself! I remember finding a shop in New Hope PA that was ALL gargoyle statuary. Very cool! Enjoy your A to Z-ing!
    Jess / Blogging on the Brink

    ReplyDelete