Sunday, March 3, 2013

Yes, Virgina (or Emma) There are Nice People in California

 My Mom moved back to California after over 20 years in Oklahoma.  She has been here since November, but for some reason she is constantly surprised that people are nice here.  Every time she goes somewhere she will go on and on about how nice everyone was to her.  I think she must have expected them to curse at her and call her names.
Well, I am a big fan of people and I know that nice people are everywhere, yes, even in California.  And I want to tell you about my experience with one of those very nice people.
My husband has recently gone through knee replacement surgery, he's recovering nicely but has not been able to attend church for the last two weeks.  At church today many people stopped by to ask how my husband was doing and to say hi to my mom who came to church with us today.  By the way, she was totally surprised that everyone was so nice and went out of their way to introduce themselves to her.
Anyway, we are sitting on the couch early afternoon and someone knocks at our door.  That in itself is unusual because people come to the backdoor.  I go to answer the door and there stands a gentleman, whom I do not recognize, wearing a suit.  He introduces himself to me and tells me that he and his wife are here for the week from San Diego, just visiting, on vacation. He was at church that morning, he says, and in one the meetings people were talking about my husband 's surgery.  He tells us that he and his wife will be here for the week and wants to know what they can do to help us out.  "Anything" he says, "from stacking firewood to cleaning toilets".  And, yes, he really did say just that.
Even I was impressed with his niceness and his unselfish willingness to serve perfect strangers.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, people are good and kind and I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment