Friday, August 19, 2011

My Own Private Bathroom




A while back I read the book, The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was a wonderful book. Last week my daughter and I went and saw the movie and while it was good it wasn't as good as the book. But that seems to be the case most often.

I was a child of the 50's and 60's and I'm ashamed to say that I was not as aware as I should have been about the civil rights movement. This book and movie started me thinking again about things that I think about often. Why do we, as human beings, treat each other the way we do? I don't think I have ever been prejudiced against anybody regardless of race, religion, weight, appearance or anything else. That's the way I was raised and I'm grateful for that everyday of my life.

But...the bathroom scene in the book and the movie where a white woman campaigns for every household to have their own separate bathroom for their "help". That got me thinking.

I HATE public restrooms, I can't tell you how much I hate them. I do not even like bathrooms in other peoples homes, no matter how clean they appear. I refuse to sit on any toilet seat that someones else's bum has touched (except my husband, even then.....).

The other day we had someone here doing some work for us, he marched right in and used the guest bathroom. I admit, even , to locking the door so he wouldn't use it, I was going to say that I was cleaning the floor and it was still wet. But somehow he seemed to know where the key was. I know, that is awful, but it seems that I just can't help myself.


Well that was two days ago and I hadn't cleaned it before now because this worker was going to come back and do some more work. And you know, he'd probably have to use the bathroom again, yuck. So, of course, I haven't used that bathroom either. If anyone else wants to use it that's completely up to them, they may not have the same phobia that I do.



So I cleaned the guest bathroom this morning, lysoled it, bleached it and scrubbed everywhere. I feel like I can use it now without being grossed out.


You don't have to tell me that this phobia is a terrible thing to have. And it's not that I don't like these people who feel they must use my bathroom. It's just that I don't like the thought of their bare bums sitting on something that I put my bare bum on. Totally gross!

No comments:

Post a Comment